[Blog] uGet for Android is now available for Beta Testing

Here you will find announcements regarding uGet project. New topics in this section are only made by uGet project members however everyone is encouraged to comment.

[Blog] uGet for Android is now available for Beta Testing

Postby MichaelTunnell » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:20 pm

Download uGet for Android 1.0.7 (Installation Instructions)

We are excited to announce the latest platform compatibility for uGet and that is Android. uGet now comes as an app for Android to be used in both Phones and Tablets. uGet for Android is currently in the Beta Testing phase but it is very close to ready so we just need a few people to kick the tires to make sure we covered all the angles. uGet for Android is currently on version 1.0.7 so it has had quite a bit of testing already, we are just wanting to address anything that we might have missed.

uGet for Android comes with a lot of the great features that you know and love from the desktop version such as Advanced Categories, Pause & Resume, Clipboard Monitor, Default Folders per Category, Speed Limits, Download Priorities, AutoStarting Downloads, Mirrors (Multi-Source), Multiple Connections, Proxy Support, Username & Password Server Authentication, Custom Filenames, Total Active Downloads Control and more.

There are also new features that are specific to the Android App based on the needs and flow of the system like: Open Item & Choose Application directly from uGet, Android Notifications Integration, Sorting Downloads in the App, AutoSaving, Plugin Order Control (will also be available in uGet 2.0, which allows you to choose to use aria2 or curl in whatever priority you prefer).

Finally, another feature that uGet for Android will get from the desktop version is the ability to use the Aria2 Plugin. This is a bit more complicated to use but here is a quick tutorial that explains how to use it...installing Aria2 right now is a bit complicated.

How to install and run aria2 in local Android device.

Get aria2 for Android from http://aria2.sourceforge.net/
Install aria2c to your device. If you have adb, you can use below commands to install:

$ adb shell push aria2c /data/local/tmp
$ adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/aria2c

Setup uGet App:
Select Menu -> Settings
Choose Aria2 plug-in options
Enable Run aria2 in this device
Setup Path to /data/local/tmp/aria2c

Note* - If you are not comfortable with using Beta Software then please do not try this version of the app, just wait until the final version is released.

Are you excited about uGet for Android as much as we are? Either way, let us know below...
MichaelTunnell
Site Admin

uGet Version: Latest Dev Build
Operating System: Linux
System Architecture: 64bit
Linux Distro: Kubuntu & Antergos

Re: [Blog] uGet for Android is now available for Beta Testin

Postby xub1990 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:22 pm

I am only excited because it's a new revenue (AD Supported) for you guys beside donations, but you know there are already a lot of download managers for Android.
Anyway, where should I post my report?
xub1990

Linux Distro: elementary OS Freya

Re: [Blog] uGet for Android is now available for Beta Testin

Postby MichaelTunnell » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:56 pm

I don't know why this post was set to the moderation queue yet your other posts weren't weird...so anyway I just saw the post today while I was doing some cleanup to the forum.

1. Ad Supported is not something we wanted to do but it seems to be one of the few options we have. I hope it works.

2. I know there are many download managers and they are all terrible. They are either super limited or just don't really accomplish what a download manager should do. I know I am biased but I have tried about 12 options and none of them even come close.

3. I don't know what your report relates to but there is a bug report section that you can use.
MichaelTunnell
Site Admin

uGet Version: Latest Dev Build
Operating System: Linux
System Architecture: 64bit
Linux Distro: Kubuntu & Antergos

Return to Announcements