[ANSWERED] File name changes after starting download

If you are using an old version of uGet (1.x.x) then post your question in here. Past topics about older branches of the app will be stored in here as well. Also, might I suggest updating to a recent version of uGet. http://ugetdm.com/downloads

[ANSWERED] File name changes after starting download

Postby tauro » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:33 pm

Hello people

First I want to thank you for making and maintaining uGet, it's a very nice piece of software.

I'm using what I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) is the last compatible version of uGet with my system (Debian Squeeze), which is 1.8.2. I'm also using aria2c version 1.16.1.

Unfortunately there's an issue whenever I try download a link through youtube-dl (https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/). This little program gives you direct a download link for any youtube video. Download starts OK, but even if I pass the option --filename or if I specify the name through uGet's gui, the name is changed to the default "videoplayback" immediately after the download starts.

I think this is related to aria2c, because if I disable the plugin the name doesn't change after the download starts. But the problem here is that I wanted to use aria2c from the first place, and as I found your program to be compatible with it, I'm trying to configure it.

I believe uGet it is not passing the -o option to aria2c, but this you will know better.

Is there any chance to get uGet to do what I'm intending to do? Perhaps a workaround or a patch.

Thank you very much in advance.

PS: If any one is interested this is my little script, whom I send the link through Iceweasel (Mozilla):

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash

address=$1

video_title=$(youtube-dl --get-title $address 2>&1)

video_title=${video_title//\//-}

name=$(zenity --entry --text="Enter name" --entry-text="$video_title")

down_link=$(youtube-dl -g $address 2>&1)

uget-gtk $down_link --filename="$name"
tauro

Linux Distro: Debian

Re: File name changes after starting download (uGet 1.8.2)

Postby MichaelTunnell » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:20 am

1.8.2 is not the latest available. 1.10.3 will work on Squeeze as well. Squeeze (6.0.6) is the current version if I'm not mistaken.

1.8.2 is the latest version in every repo...we are not sure why none of the repos are updating to the newest version but we are working on it.

I just tested what you wanted using Firefox, Flashgot, Aria2 Plugin and uGet 1.10.3 and it works flawlessly so because it works in the latest version of uGet. I don't see a point in making a patch for an older version of uGet.

If you want to wait for the repos to get updated then you can as we are working on getting 1.10.3 the active version of all repos.

If all else fails you can compile from source for Debian.
MichaelTunnell
Site Admin

uGet Version: Latest Dev Build
Operating System: Linux
System Architecture: 64bit
Linux Distro: Kubuntu & Antergos

Postby tauro » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:59 pm

Actually the latest uGet version available in the main Debian Squeeze (stable) repository is 1.5.0.2. So I compiled the last compatible version (1.8.2) because I found out that 1.10.x requires GTK+3, which is not available nor compatible with Debian stable. Every package in stable is thoroughly tested, so this distribution doesn't contain the latest everything. But I can assure it is very stable. It's a pity that your program now requires GTK+3, I wish this wasn't so. This will prevent many possible users from using it.

I did a lot of testing with this version of uGet (1.8.2) because I really liked the idea of having a GUI to aria2c, but I couldn't solve this two issues:

-Every time I start a download, the output file name is changed to the default name.
-If there are active downloads, every time the program is closed and reopened the download has to be manually resumed, and then the name is changed again to the default output name.

Note that when you disable aria2c's plugin none of this problems occur.

So I guess I'll use aria2c in daemon mode with the help of XML-RPC.

Thank you anyway.
tauro

Linux Distro: Debian

Postby MichaelTunnell » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:25 am

tauro wrote:Actually the latest uGet version available in the main Debian Squeeze (stable) repository is 1.5.0.2.

Holy Crap that is a very old version...wait if they care about stability so much why is the latest available version a 1.5.x? 1.5.x was a Development branch version which ensures not stable by definition.

tauro wrote:It's a pity that your program now requires GTK+3, I wish this wasn't so. This will prevent many possible users from using it.

Actually not really a pity because of many reasons.

1. We are a VERY small team. = 1 Developer & 1 Designer/Tester
2. We support most known distros including both .DEB & .RPM based distros; a PPA for Ubuntu and Ubuntu based derivatives; a Windows based Portable App and support both curl and aria2 as download engines.
3. GTK3 was released in February 2011 and GTK2 was deprecated in June 2011.
4. uGet supported GTK2 for a full year past deprecation and GTK2 was deprecated in uGet in June 2012.
5. GTK3 is the current stable branch of GTK with 3.6 so not supporting it would be a major mistake and our small team could absolutely not support both GTK2 & GTK3

tauro wrote:-Every time I start a download, the output file name is changed to the default name.
-If there are active downloads, every time the program is closed and reopened the download has to be manually resumed, and then the name is changed again to the default output name.

Note that when you disable aria2c's plugin none of this problems occur.

I put your key comment in bold.

If aria2 plugin is disabled then the youtube issues do not occur which means that the problem is with aria2 and not with uGet. I can't guarantee any success with the following idea but maybe it would fix it if you used 1.8.2 with a newer version of aria2...worth a shot.

If nothing works for you and you do not want to upgrade to a newer distro with GTK3 then sorry but there isn't much that we can do for you...though you may want to try the webgui for aria2. It will use an html5 gui in your preferred browser to interface with aria2. It doesn't have many features but it does get the job done so check it out if you want. https://github.com/ziahamza/webui-aria2
MichaelTunnell
Site Admin

uGet Version: Latest Dev Build
Operating System: Linux
System Architecture: 64bit
Linux Distro: Kubuntu & Antergos

Return to Archived Versions